funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:31:41 -0400 (EDT)

Address space assignments start at the IANA, but they basically farm
out an entire /8 at a time to the regional RIR authorities (RIPE in
Europe, APNIC in the Pacific Rim, and ARIN in US/North America), who
then give out /16's or so to companies.  However, they do *NOT*,
repeat *NOT* do any sort of policing [...]

Right.

That's what I mean: authority is delegated without the concomitant
responsibility being imposed.  The IANA needs to impose responsibility
on the RIRs, since they have failed to assume it themselves; the RIRs
in turn need to pass it along.  That just ain't happening.

As long as that condition prevails, we will have abuses, growing more
and more severe until (a) the mismatch is corrected, (b) the system
collapses, or (c) a steady state of abuse concomitant to the degree of
mismatch is reached.  Since the mismatch in this case appears to be
total, I expect (b) to happen before (c).

I'd still rather see (a), but I hold out little hope for that.

Domain registrations derive from ICANN, [...]

...which, again, is delegating authority without imposing the
responsibility to go with it.

Gee, and domain registration is another mess.  What a _surprise_.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org