funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:23:53 -0400

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:51:10 PDT, chris () blask org said:
-- On Mon, 10/19/09, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Oddly enough, for an "intractable" problem, most sites are
managing to deliver a reasonably acceptable user experience.

By the definition "not easily relieved or cured" it remains intractable for
providers, though most users can mostly ignore it today.  For those who need to/
choose to try to actually *solve* the problem (iow - eliminate spam at the
root)

Anybody who thinks they can "*solve* the problem" is taking some really good
pharmaceuticals.  I don't think there's a single police department out there
that seriously think they will "solve crime and elimitate it at the root".

So if police departments with thousands(*) of years of experience aren't able
to eliminate meatspace crime, why do you think there's any realistic chance
of of doing so with the cyberspace spam criminals?

(*) Yes, thousands - I'm sure there's been a city guard to deal with
pickpockets and the drunks coming out of taverns almost as long as there have
been pockets for pilfering and taverns for the drunks to come out of...  So
back around Hammurabi or so...