funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcast pop-ups)

From: "G. D. Fuego" <gdfuego () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:14:53 -0400

On Oct 17, 2009, at 5:32 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 12:04:08PM -0500, Dan White wrote:
I'm proposing a little more thinking outside the box here. SMTP
does need
to go way, and be replaced by something better: Something that does
not
inherently suffer from the problems of SMTP today, but is based on
something with better two-way trust.

Protocol is irrelevant.  *Nothing* a known-compromised system does
can be trusted.

With a fully authenticated protocol we could limit the valid source
addresses of the spam to the one associated with the compromised user.

Dosent solve the problem but it does simplify it a bit.