funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 02:05:44 -0500

On 17/10/09 07:41 -0700, chris () blask org wrote:
An outright replacement system for SMTP as a whole strikes me as extremely
unlikely.  The amount of inertia to push against dictates that the
alternative would have to be outrageously beneficial and that benefit
would have to be overwhelmingly demonstrable or it would never be able to
build the necessary momentum.

If email isn't fixed (by replacing SMTP), then I'm afraid it'll wane
through attrition, and be relegated to a corporate messaging system.

16 year olds today tend to use SMS and social applications, like twitter
and facebook (well, I just made that up, but I wouldn't be surprised if
that were the case). They don't care to communicate with random people on
the internet via email. And if they do use email, they're not really likely
to use their Service Provider's email server, but more likely to use Google
mail (on that point, I'm sure).

HTTP will probably replace SMTP, and when that happens Google, Hotmail and
Yahoo will be able to elbow out everyone else.

--
Dan White