funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcast pop-ups)

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:27:46 -0500

On 13/10/09 09:02 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:31:08 CDT, Dan White said:
3) Doing what we can to develop and increase our participation in a public
key infrastructure and IPSEC.

Unfortunately, most of the problems we have would *not* be fixed with more
crypto and IPSEC (with the exception of closing down unencrypted wireless and
making the standard there WPA2 or a better follow-on).  I mean, *seriously*,

Sure it would. The idea of an IPSEC enabled PKI is that you have end-to-end
security, with perhaps many untrusted networks in the middle. It means
two-way trust. It means that the two parties communicating know exactly who
each other are and know that no one else can listen in on their private
communications.

You want to fix something - come up with a good way to enhance the trust for
websites that load from multiple places.  Go read Schneier's "Secrets and Lies",
he has a good chapter on SSL snake oil, but to sum it up with a re-quote
of an example from yesterday:

If I'm on msnbc.msn.com, and click a link that takes me to discovery.com,
what reason does my browser have to trust the Flash content that gets
loaded from mstories.vo.llnwd.net?  (Hint - your scheme has to work even
if discovery.com is compromised - if the hacker can change the link, there's
a good chance that if you depend on a digital signature of the page containing
the link, he can re-sign the page as well.  Probably not for discovery.com,
which likely has separate devel and prod machines and the signing can happen
on the devel boxes - but there's a *lot* of "update in place" websites that
would almost certainly have the signing keys on the webserver.  Bad idea,
I know, but it's gonna happen.

I'm not sure I exactly follow the scenario. I need to trust that my bank
knows what they're doing, or I'm not going to do online banking, or do any
banking with them. Ditto for anyone else that handles my private data.

I don't need to trust anything from msnbc.msn.com, or discovery.com, or a
flash file found on one of those websites.

You say SSL is snake oil? I don't really disagree with that. IPSEC is a
very attractive antidote to it.

--
Dan White