funsec mailing list archives

Re: Dangerous promises...

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 12:33:56 -0800

Date sent:              Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:57:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:                   Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>

I met one of those about 12 years ago. The vendor assured me it was virus
proof. I showed him a floppy disk, and asked if I could install the
software from it, on his computer. He asked me "Is there a virus on it?"

"Why are you asking me that question," I asked.

Was asked to review a "proof of concept" box done by a chipmaker who were
promoting a new system controller chip.  Was able to do all kinds of malicious
things on it.  Also recovered a deleted archive file of more than 800 viruses they
had obviously tested against it.  (Added them to my zoo.)

They stiffed me on the review fee.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Education: That which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the
stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.             - Mark Twain
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade