funsec mailing list archives

Re: Was the ClimateGate Hacker Justified? Join the Debate!

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:57:56 -0000

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:28:15 -0000, RandallM <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:
someone better look in to the the "tree rings". That seems to be the
cause of the debacle.
perhaps the reason for the "blow up and hack". Didn't seem to
correlate with their plans.

And the whole principle is nicely explained by the reg:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/29/yamal_scandal/

In essence, the majority of the used datasets for tree rings come from
just 12 trees in a small area of Siberia, and, as we know, the whole world
has a similar climate to Siberia. Climate never changes in one region and
the whole world is *exactly* like Siberia.

I take a "may be persuaded-sceptical" view of climate change: there's
definitely a definitive agenda being followed with a bias towards
pro-climate change in the media (especially the BBC - any anti-climate
change views are put as "look at these idiots") and the science community
as a whole. Scientists have been ridiculed just for voicing an opposing
theory to climate change being caused by human released carbon
derivatives[1][2].

What we're seeing is a one sided argument, with no dissenters *allowed* to
put forward theories or opinions and as much fervour been cast against
them as in the average Dawkins-followers rant against religion. In simple
essence: the study of global climate is a vastly complicated field, for
which we're getting better, but most of the time we don't know enough.
We're looking at very small datasets, with very small timescales and
guessing. In every other field of science, different theories would be put
forward[3] and tested. In climatology, the "correct" theory has already
been decided and any dissenting views are automatically wrong.

In terms of whether the hack/leak was right. Maybe:

Legally, it is wrong. If it was a hack, it is against the UK CMA
(criminal), if it was an insider leak then there's several criminal or
civil laws that it could've breached.

Ethically and morally is on shaky ground. The CRU has a history of
deliberately avoiding releasing information and being obtrusive. It has
refused many FOI requests for reasonable data and has tried to backtrack
on it's own errors (e.g. when it accidentally left data on an anonymous
ftp account), which automatically makes them look in the wrong. But, two
wrongs don't make a right; in a perfect world, the FOI should have been
handled by the Information Commissioner, but in the real world, he is
pretty toothless and left to his management the information wouldn't have
seen the light of day.

I draw the comparison here to the MPs expenses scandal: the legal ways had
been tried and rejected. The IC was toothless. Leaked data finally showed
that dodgy things were being done and forced *all* the data into the
public domain which may even lead to prosecution for several MPs.

dave

[1] It's not just CO2, methane is just as bad.
[2] I despair when I hear "plans" being put forward by the governments -
most of them are next to useless; even climate change is being caused by
humans: if you have to make a difference, start at the top, with things
like underground coal fires or cow belches, not at the bottom with sodding
mobile phone chargers being left plugged in!
[3] E.g. solar activity, solar magnetic strength ad nauseam.