funsec mailing list archives

Re: climate gate and programming bugs

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 16:17:43 -0500

since these "scientists" do not release their code. We are supposed
to believe the priests who say Earth is at the center of the universe,
but we are not allowed to see either their data or method they used to
arrive at that conclusion.

This isn't the production code, although it's related. CRU has
promised to release both the code and the raw data. At that point, us
coders can start the process of replicating the results, and looking for
statistically significant errors.

I agree this is the key point. I also think it's fair to state that
without the leaked e-mails and documents they would not have agreed to
release their data and code.

I'll go one step further: No science is "settled" if nobody has even had
the opportunity to replicate the work.

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com