funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Image Privacy

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:58:32 -0800

Dan Kaminsky wrote:
I am saying operating systems are not like passwords.  I don't think
this exactly controversial.

Who was talking about operating systems? That smells like at attempt to
redefine the argument. We were talking about secret URLs, keys passwords
and the like. I think that makes a much better playing fields for the
moment.

I can quantify this with the rate of change of complexity of a system.
 If you add one kilobyte of complexity to Windows (consuming literally
8192 bits extra space on the DVD), you have not done much to the
difficulty of breaking Windows.  If you add one kilobyte of complexity
to an RSA key (literally, adding another 4096 bits to p and q
respectively), you most assuredly have done much to to the difficulty
of breaking this particular RSA key.

So is it the relative change then? How about change over time?

I will grant that we could use better words than "obscure" and
"secret" to represent the difference. But I consider "obscure"
fundamentally different than "utterly unknown".  An obscure band is
not a secret band.  An obscure illness is not a secret illness.

Mixing it real-world analogies has never been terribly helpful when
dealing with purely digital security.

Let me attempt some examples:

-Is XOR'd with a 4096-bit key obscure or secure?
-Is RSA-encrypted with a 40696-bit key obscure or secure?
-Is a crypt(3) password obscure or secure? Has that changes over time?
-Is a URL with a random 4096-bit component obscure or secure?

                                        BB