funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Image Privacy

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:42:36 -0800

Dan Kaminsky wrote:
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
Dan Kaminsky wrote:
Larry was _specifically_ stating "maybe security through obscurity
works after all".  That is _specifically_ an argument regarding
operating systems and other designed systems.
Where? Here's what I have from Larry in this thread:

"A Facebook employee entered a comment that said that only the user who
posted the image gets that URL from them, so therefore it’s private..."

"I’ve often thought that security through obscurity gets a bad rap.
Perhaps this is one of those cases.

And what are the other cases in which security through obscurity gets a bad rap?

Is there somewhere we actually disagree?

Yes... in URLs! That's the whole thread!

                                                BB