funsec mailing list archives

Re: Facebook Image Privacy

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:26:44 -0800

Dan Kaminsky wrote:
Larry was _specifically_ stating "maybe security through obscurity
works after all".  That is _specifically_ an argument regarding
operating systems and other designed systems.

Where? Here's what I have from Larry in this thread:

"A Facebook employee entered a comment that said that only the user who
posted the image gets that URL from them, so therefore it’s private..."

"I’ve often thought that security through obscurity gets a bad rap.
Perhaps this is one of those cases.

My real problem with it is that I’ve marked it for “Only Me.” Why do
they need to provide this link? And they only do it for images, not for
plain text posts or videos where you mark it as “Only Me.”"

"My nipples explode with delight!"

                                                BB