funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apple has a new toy

From: "steve pirk [egrep]" <steve () pirk com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 00:07:24 -0800

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:18, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah

Date sent:              Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:28:11 -0500
From:                   Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>

Flash is dead.

If only ...

I had a discussion at work today with a bunch of developers, and the same
idea was presented "if on html5". Well, I ran across a twitter link that
caused me to really enjoy streaming movies again...

http://www.youtube.com/html5

So far, I am seeing pretty darn cool movies. I tested on an Acer 10"
netbook, 1.6GHz atom proc, 1GB ram, running chrome on Ubuntu. Just about the
worst case I can think of, 'cause flash kicks my cpu to %50 in just that one
chrome child. This little netbook does not even notice when streaming an
html5 movie on YouTube.

Give it a try, especially in chrome...

Maybe an alternative to flash is closer than we think?

-- steve
steve pirk
refiamerica.org
"father... the sleeper has awakened..." paul atreides - dune
kexp.org member august '09