funsec mailing list archives

Re: But Facebook are not spammers

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 13:52:22 +0300

On 5/27/10 10:44 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
ge () linuxbox org (Gadi Evron) writes:

On 5/25/10 2:24 PM, Jim Murray wrote:
- The system should interpret no reply as 'I don't want any more
messages from this site, ever'.

I think I'd be okay with "this message will repeat itself in one week,
once."

anything you plan to let anybody do, you must be prepared to let everybody
do, even criminal spammers (as opposed, i guess, to this implicit
definition of "noncriminal spammers"). whatever standard you set for e-mail
input will be used by the people who sue you for blocking them, as evidence
that you're part of a conspiracy in restraint of (their) trade.

i've been sued about spam more than almost anybody. so when i talk about
getting sued you should consider listening carefully, because i won't be
listening at all to the people talking about spam who have not been sued as
much as i have been sued, which is almost everybody. in order to prevent
the conversation from being zero-sided, maybe pay attention to what i'm
saying about precedents and principles: make the conversation at least
one-sided, and then try to add more sides from there. don't remain ignorant
and kneejerky about spam just because that's a comfortable zone to be in.

don't let facebook do anything that you wouldn't like to let every spammer
whether you'd call them a criminal spammer or not also do. spam is spam
and the fine gradients that facebook and their apologists would like us to
apply would prevent any real progress in establishing or protecting any
real rights. make facebook set an example that you'd like every other bulk
e-mailer, whether you'd call them a criminal bulk e-mailer or not, follow.

Agreed. The issue of the discussion is that I did not agree Facebook are
spammers. But I think both sides put forth their arguments clearly.

        Gadi.