funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apple's worst security breach: 114, 000 iPad owners exposed

From: Dave Dennis <dmd () speakeasy org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:20:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, David Harley wrote:

OTOH:

Apple's worst security breach, or a great big hyperbole?
http://www.sophos.com/blogs/duck/g/2010/06/10/apples-worst-security-breach/

An issue I haven't seen discussed publically yet is that this just created a
nice spear phishing list of targets.  Fake apple updates?  Malware?  Everyone
knows Macs can't get malware <g> so recipients' guard might be down and they
could be induced to click.  hey also might be reading from Windows at work,
particularly the .mil and corp execs.  Thats a pretty rich list to be going
after with targetted malware email attacks.

So I fall somewhere in the "yes, this really is a big deal," and don't mind
Gawker blasting it out public like this.  I don't think it undermines the
message of data security.

-Dave D

--
David Harley BA CISSP FBCS CITP