funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apple's worst security breach: 114, 000 iPad owners exposed

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:05:29 -0400

Another long winded rant. Bad part is, neither one of your points had
anything to do with the topic at hand and what I was trying to say.

First, it's quite obvious that you dislike Apple. Of which I don't
care. I am a consumer of their products and an unpaid spokesperson of
their user experience. Your points on Apple had nothing to do with the
fact that someone was able to enumerate email addresses of ipad
owners.  This is clearly a screw up on AT&T's part, but it will change
nothing. It won't cause Apple to "go to another carrier" as some have
suggested.

My other point which you tried to debunk, I guess, was all was exposed
was email addresses.

In the grand scheme of things, I might have been a lot worse, but it
wasn't, so thank God this time. Next time people may not get so lucky.
Do "all people" use an alternate email address to register things?
Obviously not.

Do I maintain one? Sure, but the people on this list aren't normal
users of the Internet, are we?  And really, from the overarching
balloon in the sky, what's the point in doing so?  You can create and
dump an email address at will.

Now on to the Facebook portion of your email:

Right, Facebook sucks.

--
Joel Esler
Sent from my iPhone