funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apple's worst security breach: 114, 000 iPad owners exposed

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 11:19:16 +1200

Joel Esler wrote:

OMG the email addresses for iPad owners were exposed!!!

Oh, you mean the email addresses that these people use, on the internet
all day every day?

Two little things you overlooked...

First, privacy concerns in general.  Yes, we all know the Zuckerberg
generation believes that (online) privacy is a myth, but note that even
the mighty Mark withdrew most of his, ummmm "private" images from
public view on Facebook shortly after his service changed the default
privacy settings that exposed said photos in the first place.  Surely
he didn't do it because they apparently showed that Facebook Inc is
just one big booze-fest and that wouldn't look good to the schmucks
Mark and his cronies (most of whom were also depicted in said photos
similarly inebriated, etc) are planning on making their millions from?
Surely Mark wasn't actually concerned at all about the revelation of
such images?  I mean, if he's not actually the head of the "you have no
privacy" movement, he must be one of its best-known poster-boys...

Anyway, whether you personally believe in the existence or value of
online/personal/etc privacy, even the USA (the "Western" country
generally believed to pay the lowest "official" care of individual
privacy rights) has _some_ privacy laws, and most US corporations with
a web presence at least make prominent public declarations of their
token concern for privacy.  For example, after a few bland introductory
sentences (how uncharacteristic!) explaining that the collection of
certain personally identifying information may be necessary, allows for
better service provision and so, we are told "Your privacy is a
priority at Apple, and we go to great lengths to protect it":

   http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

Wow -- I'm convinced!  Sign me up...

Maybe I'm selling Apple a bit short there?  They get absolutely
effusive about the importance of protecting their customers' privacy
waaaaay down the page in the section titled "Our companywide commitment
to your privacy":

   As we said, Apple takes protecting your privacy very seriously. To
   make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate these
   guidelines to Apple employees and strictly enforce privacy
   safeguards within the company. In addition, Apple supports industry
   initiatives, such as TRUSTe, to preserve privacy rights on the
   Internet and in all aspects of electronic commerce.

Wheeeeee.....

Despite the commonness of such obligatory statements, some US
corporations make prominent public claims that they uphold privacy
concerns very highly, establish Chief Privacy Officers and make claims
such as "privacy commitments are fundamental to the way we do business
every day", such as, say:

   http://www.att.com/privacy

Regardless of how genuine you may feel either Apple's or AT&T's
proclamations are about the importance of maintaining their customers'
privacy, they both rather clearly failed in this case.

Second, you said:

   Oh, you mean the email addresses that these people use, on the
   internet all day every day?

Irrelevant.

Do you not maintain a separate address (or even a collection of them)
for "service registrations" and the like?

Most security professionals I've either asked directly about this or
with whom it's come up some way or other in conversation (admittedly
not a large proportion of all such folk I know), _do_ exactly that.
And at least some "more normal" folk I know (i.e. not security
professionals) do this too.  There are a number of reasons, but
commonly having a single "well protected" (by the privacy policies of
those companies they trust to share the address with) address is the
reason (the other one is tracking who sell, etc addresses and these
folk use a separate address for each company/entity that they share
contact details with).

You cannot possibly know whether the actual addresses in the
registration of all iPad's for their AT&T 3G service were "addresses
... use[d] on the internet all day every day", and as it seems likely
that at least some of them were "special" addresses, for which their
owners were expecting the special treatment of premium corporate
privacy controls (or at least such privacy controls as Apple may
provide), this failure was clearly a worse failure than your joking
shrug-off suggests.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald