funsec mailing list archives

Re: California opts out of 4th Amendment

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:32:18 -0600

On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 22:53 +1300, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
I believe that at least blackberries have that capability
(10 bad passwords and wipe).

That's not strictly a "duress password".

To me, that term designates a specific feature where a "special
password" is configured such that, if that password is entered
instead
of the "correct" one, the device takes that as an indication to "do
something special".

In the case of a mobile computing device the "something
special" may be to disable all radio functions (cell, WiFi, BT),
external ports/buses (USB, unused memory card slots, Ethernet, etc),
disable the power switch function and engage a secure overwrite
procedure on all functioning storage devices.

iPhones and iPads can be configured to wipe after 10 tries as well.

That's a pretty good description of the actions needed, Nick.

--Chris