funsec mailing list archives

Re: Verified by ....

From: <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:38:46 -0400

True, if it's a reputable company, you really don't have to rely on the CoA, but it's good to have if you ever want to
sell that item.  "reputable company" is the key for sure :)
  But, I've seen tons of Ebay auctions with CoA's that are just a piece of paper without apparent CoA serial numbers.
I bought a knife at a gun show years back, it was a Chinese display type thing in the shape of a dragon, it was cheap
and I thought it was cool so I bought it.  It came with a CoA, no serial numbers,  just small paragraph on it stating
it was genuine.  The blade itself was "limited edition collectable" or something like that...  that type of CoA is
worthless IMHO :)

 LOL, who knows, maybe in 50 years that "worthless" CoA might be worth more than the dagger :)

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772