funsec mailing list archives

Re: BitDefender, you've created a monster! (story ...)

From: <michael.blanchard () emc com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:34:57 -0500

I don't know about you folks, but I just love hearing from "malware experts" (so called) that they found some new form
of threat or behavior that many of us have seen 20 - 25 years or more ago.  Like this article, we know it's dribble and
by far nothing at all new.  But when I'm talking to folks that claim to be malware experts, or IT security experts, and
they start stating stuff like "....yah, malware's getting so bad these days that viruses are infecting malware!
Imagine that?!...."
  I just laugh to myself and put some type of mental scarlet letter on their forehead....

Is it weird that I no longer feel old when I realize I've been doing this stuff for about 25 years now?  Maybe THAT's
the sign that I'm truly old?  :-)

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772