funsec mailing list archives

Re: BitDefender, you've created a monster! (story ...)

From: CP Constantine <conrad () 1211 net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:44:15 -0500

On 01/30/2012 10:34 AM, michael.blanchard () emc com wrote:
I don't know about you folks, but I just love hearing from "malware experts" (so called) that they found some new
form of threat or behavior that many of us have seen 20 - 25 years or more ago.  Like this article, we know it's
dribble and by far nothing at all new.  But when I'm talking to folks that claim to be malware experts, or IT
security experts, and they start stating stuff like "....yah, malware's getting so bad these days that viruses are
infecting malware!  Imagine that?!...."
  I just laugh to myself and put some type of mental scarlet letter on their forehead....

Is it weird that I no longer feel old when I realize I've been doing this stuff for about 25 years now?  Maybe THAT's
the sign that I'm truly old?  :-)

Michael P. Blanchard

Heh, better yet, you should just take this frankenmalware idea to it's
implied conclusion, and see if you can resurrect that old yarn from the
early 90's about how 'digital viruses may be a new form of life'