funsec mailing list archives

Re: Risk analysis

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 19:04:03 -0400

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:
Oh, hey, what do you know?  There's actually scientific data showing that having
lots of guns around is a bad idea ...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=gun-science-proves-arming-
untrained-citizens-bad-idea
When I lived in Georgia in the 1990s, one of its counties passed an
ordnance requiring all citizens own a gun. Around the same time, a
county in Chicago passed a ordinance banning guns. Do you want to take
a guess at which county experienced an increase in crime, and which
experienced a decrease?

ARTICLE> Consider a 1998 study in the Journal of Trauma and Acute
ARTICLE> Care Surgery that found that “every time a gun in the home
ARTICLE> was used in a self-defense or legally justifiable shooting,
ARTICLE> there were four unintentional shootings, seven criminal
ARTICLE> assaults or homicides, and 11 attempted or completed
ARTICLE> suicides.”
Stepping out of society via suicide is every person's right,
regardless of what the states say (remember, many are they same states
that murder its citizens with a death penalty). As for assaults and
homicides -  ATF's Project Gunrunner FTW?

Anyway, the debate is not a religion to me as long as I can own one to
rise against the government if needed. I don't care much about hunting
:)

Jeff