funsec mailing list archives

Re: Risk analysis

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 14:56:24 -0400

dOn Sun, 12 May 2013 09:09:10 -0700, "Steve Allison" said:
The military and law enforcement may end up having an horrifying dilemma.
When they took the oath of enlistment (military and law enforcement), as I
did, they swore to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and
allegiance to the same." But in the next breath, we had to say, "I will obey
the orders of the President of the United States and the officers appointed
above me." Could be a terrible dichotomy for our military.

What it *actually* says:

"and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the
orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the
Uniform Code of Military Justice"

http://www.army.mil/values/oath.html

I do believe that the Uniform Code clearly states that you have both the right
and the obligation to refuse an illegal order.  So not much dichotomy there.