funsec mailing list archives

Re: Risk analysis

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 10:16:19 -0400

On Sat, 11 May 2013 19:04:03 -0400, Jeffrey Walton said:
When I lived in Georgia in the 1990s, one of its counties passed an
ordnance requiring all citizens own a gun. Around the same time, a
county in Chicago passed a ordinance banning guns. Do you want to take
a guess at which county experienced an increase in crime, and which
experienced a decrease?

Multiple studies have shows that access to guns is only one very small part
of what drives the *reported* crime rate. Economic and educational conditions
in the area, and the resident's relationship with the police, have a much
higher impact on how many crimes get committed, and how many get reported.

Anyway, the debate is not a religion to me as long as I can own one to
rise against the government if needed.

Oh, bother.  If more of the "rise against the government if needed" crowd
was realistic about that, we could actually have rational discussions about
gun control.

OK. Everybody's got guns.

They got a supply of ammo?

They had recent marksmanship training, including shooting from behind cover,
not just standing there at the range?

They got a supply line?

They got a leadership cadre?

They got training in small-unit tactics?

There's a whole lot more to doing an effective resistance than just "I have
a gun".  But except for some militia groups that actually train, none of
the "rise against the government" crowd want to admit it.

Remember - if it comes to that, you're going against people who do that
shit day in day out for a living.  And yet, mandating a tour in the National
Guard so people have seen it and learned it *before* the bullets start flying
doesn't go over very well with the gun-rights crew (who see any sort of
mandatory training requirement as an infringement).