Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Online predictive markets (IEEE Spectrum)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 13:39:38 -0400

Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 07:03:10 -0700
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian () airs com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Online predictive markets (IEEE Spectrum)
To: Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org>
Cc: dave () farber net

Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org> writes:

> At 10:46 PM -0700 8/8/03, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> >As others have pointed out, the PAM presumes that everybody has the
> >same goals--essentially, to make money.  If something like PAM were
> >taken seriously by the police, a well funded terrorist group with a
> >bunch of sympathizers could and would spend money to distort the
> >market.  It wouldn't work every time, but it could sure work when
> >there was something big planned.  Of course if you know they are
> >terrorist sympathizers you discount their contributions--but then
> >terrorist sympathizers look an awful like the sort of people who might
> >actually know something and want to make a little cash on the side.
>
> Of course, commercial and gambling markets are subject to similar manipulation.

Yes, as we've seen with the large number of corporate schemes to
inflate their stock prices over the last few years to enrich
executives at the expense of other shareholders.  Many, hopefully
most, of those people were caught eventually, thanks mainly to
corporate disclosure requirements.  Of course, if the issue had been
terrorist acts, they would probably have been caught too late--after
the act had occurred.

There is a sense in which the existing financial markets already
predict terrorism: after all, major terrorist acts affect the economy
and a lot of specific companies.  So far I don't think their track
record is particularly good.

> My understanding is that if a market is set up correctly, it's
> sometimes (perhaps not always) possible to discern and filter out such
> manipulation. Once the market was set up, it would be possible to
> simulate such activity and test that. Let's remember that Darpa is a
> *research* agency and such experiments are its reason for being.

*shrug* You seem to be suggesting that DARPA should experiment with
market manipulation schemes while other people are playing with real
money.

Your article lists a number of other exchanges not being financed by
the government.  If this approach is viable, then there is money to be
made in it.  Why not let the market set up the market?

Ian