nanog mailing list archives

Re: RFC1712 - is anyone actually using GPOS RR's ?

From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet () graffiti com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:50:37 -0500

As subject says, is anyone actually using these ?

i don't think so.  it's still in "experimental" status, and the bind
code has only this to say about it:

include/arpa/nameser.h:       ns_t_gpos = 27,         /* Geographical position (withdrawn). */
include/arpa/nameser_compat.h:#define T_GPOS          ns_t_gpos
lib/resolv/res_debug.c:       {ns_t_gpos,     "GPOS",         "geographical position (withdrawn)"},

so i don't think anyone ever bothered with it at all.

We were thinking of adding this to our automated dns scripts ... but if
nobody actually uses them, we don't want to spend time on it ...

use LOC (rfc1876) instead.  it's more or less the same, but with more
info.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet