nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Josh Richards <jrichard () cubicle net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:51:38 -0700

* Kim Hubbard <kimh () arin net> [20000831 06:33]:

The proposal was posted to the ARIN discuss list prior to the last meeting
but since then we have formalized the process a bit more to include a couple
of weeks of discussion on the ppml mailing list of all proposed policy
changes which attendees of  the public policy meeting reached consensus on.
This will allow everyone who didn't make it to the meeting to voice their
opinion on the proposal before the AC votes.

Sounds good.

Why would ARIN announce a new policy with completely vague rules?  Nobody
knows what constitutes a valid exception.  Apparently, even ARIN doesn't
know yet.  If I were applying for an increased allocation today, who would
decide if the thousands of IPs that we and our customers have used for IP
based virtual hosts are a valid or wasteful use of IPs?..the individual at
ARIN processing our request?

We thought it best not to include specific exceptions because although we
were aware of several possible exceptions, we didn't want people to feel
restricted to just those listed.  There could've been some we didn't know
about and we wanted to wait until we heard from some of the requesting
organizations so we could come up with a more comprehensive list of
exceptions.

This sounds good as well.  My only comment would be that while I see the logic
behind this, I'd add that even if ARIN does not want to include specific
exceptions in the rule, it might be best to discuss and perhaps *informally*
have a list of specific ones.  This will help the IP community feel a bit
less jumpy with these sorts of things (at least it would have appeased me
somewhat).  Of course, with what you state at the beginning of your e-mail
where the discussion period has been lengthened and more formalized, this might
have/will likely serve to do exactly as I just stated.

No, our motivation, as stated above, was to try to give more organizations
the benefit of the doubt.  But I definitely see how you could have
interpreted it differently.  We should've been clearer with the policy so
allow me to apoligize to all of you for this.

Thank you Kim, for the response.

-jr

----
Josh Richards [JTR38/JR539-ARIN]
<jrichard () cubicle net/fix.net/freedom.gen.ca.us/geekresearch.com>
Geek Research LLC
IP Network Engineering and Consulting