nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:08:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Kim Hubbard wrote:

We thought it best not to include specific exceptions because although we
were aware of several possible exceptions, we didn't want people to feel
restricted to just those listed.  There could've been some we didn't know
about and we wanted to wait until we heard from some of the requesting

OTOH, the new policy could have said something like:

  Examples of exceptions to this new rule are (but are not limited to):
   A) websites using SSL (https://)
   B) virtual host anonymous FTP sites
   C) ... etc.

Instead, we're all left guessing.  Nobody has a clue what might constitute
a valid exception.  We waste lots of time whining and arguing about the
new policy and create a huge message thread.  The thread begins to wander
and spawns sub-threads arguing about the validity of various protocols,
file naming conventions, etc.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |