nanog mailing list archives

RE: Alternatives (was Re: whois broke again?)

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:08:42 -0800

From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
William Allen Simpson
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2000 11:38 PM

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:
For the record, I've tried to get you guy's attention with this
stuff over
two years ago. Y'all strongly told me it was non-operational. But, when
systems start failing, and it becomes an operational issue, it's way too
late.

Well, I was listening; we just didn't have rough consensus.  But, maybe
it's not _that_ late.

We'll see.

Some private messages have said that NSI claims the whois contact
information is now their "property".

NSI does claim this, it is also arguable, since they inherited the seed from
SRI AND it was ALL done, to date, under government contract. However, that's
an issue for other forums and has been pounded to where the horse is only a
shadow of its former self.<grin> IOW, it's up to the courts now, if we can
file someone fool enough to press a law suit <GRIN>... in th proper venue
this time<sigh>.