nanog mailing list archives

Re: so, how would you justify giving users security? [was: Re: botted hosts]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:46:42 +0200

J.D. Falk wrote:
On 04/04/05, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

Most people won't care about their "freedom" if they can do whatever they want by asking for it. Most users want Web, Mail and IM. Three things. How are any of these guys who could easily get their privileges (and your responsibilities) back again even going to guess that some big right is being taken away? They have complete freedom and x9000 more safety. They can even sign a paper stating exactly that.

So, costs savings on bandwidth and support. Less net abuse. Ouch - less demand on AV sales? Run the numbers people.

        Problem is, this conversation is mostly taking place amongst
        geeks -- and most of us geeks /do/ want open access.  So the gut
        reaction is "oh shit, I won't be able to run my personal mail
        server at home anymore!" even though the consumers of consumer-
        grade services don't know how to do that, and don't care.

Okay, as a geek; do you want to be on an ISP where you will get scanned 1000 times a minute or just twice?

As a geek, do you want service-on-demand or just getting all the lusers around you roaming free with phasers?

As a geek, do you not want the Internet to still be here *completely* OPEN and FREE in the future?

Lastly, I suppose that as a geek ISP, one might want to sell more bandwidth. After all, the more sh*t that goes through the tubes the bigger tubes people buy.

Between spam, spyware and worms, not to mention scans ad attacks, I suppose that a large percentage of the Internet already is pay-for-junk?

        Gadi.