nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do we still need Gi Firewall for 3G/UMTS/HSPA network ?

From: Alexander Harrowell <a.harrowell () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:21:28 +0100

On Thursday 09 April 2009 16:48:32 Lee, Steven (NSG Malaysia) wrote:
Hi all, in most of the existing 2G/2.5G mobile PS-core (Packet Switch)
networks have Gi segment (interface between GGSN & IP Router/firewall). Due
to the IP address constraint, operator usually do NAT on the Gi firewall to
NAT the private IP to public IP in the past. Looking at the traffic pattern
and user access behaviour, does it make sense to have firewall between the
GGSN & Public Internet if the public IP addresses are sufficient to cater
for mobile subscribers? Especially with 3G/UMTS/HSPA or even LTE in the
future.

Please share your thought and thanks in advance :)

Regards,
Steven Lee
I would think that, however you are providing IP addresses, any ingress point
to a GSM core network ought to be carefully policed on security grounds.
Especially if you have IMS or SIP-based services or intend to deploy them.