nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is v6 as important as v4? Of course not [was: IPv6 internet broken, cogent/telia/hurricane not peering]

From: Dave Temkin <davet1 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:19:12 -0700

Randy Bush wrote:
As for accusations, I challenge you to show where I accused them of anything.

From: patrick () ianai net (Patrick W. Gilmore)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:09:58 -0400
Subject: IPv6 internet broken, cogent/telia/hurricane not peering

It is sad to see that networks which used to care about connectivity, peering, latency, etc., when they are small change their mind when they are "big". The most recent example is Cogent, an open peer who decided to turn down peers when they reached transit free status.

I never thought HE would be one of those networks.

The only thing Patrick is guilty of is not providing enough context. The party at fault here is Cogent. If you re-read the entire thread and speak with Mike Leber, you'll find that HE offered peering and/or transit, for free, to Cogent - like they do to everyone else, and Cogent didn't take it, providing for the segmentation we saw.

-Dave