nanog mailing list archives

Re: alt.folklore.nanog

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:04:21 -0700

Lamar Owen wrote:
and construction of the prototype. It was announced to the public on August 3, 1977, and sold a quarter of a million units over its lifetime (talking about the 'Model I' only). IOW, the TRS-80 was already in design before the PET was shown to John Roach; that's the minor correction.

Right, I believe the book was trying to say that the missed opportunity is that Commodore could have sold the original PET in Tandy's stores. I assume you were (as I was) wondering why the hell Tandy would have done that as it've been a competitor to the TRS-80. But then Commodore (having taken over MOS technologies) sold CPUs to their major competitors including Apple and Atari. So it's not unheard of.

Regards,
Jeroen