nanog mailing list archives

Re: 365x24x7

From: Paul Graydon <paul () paulgraydon co uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 05:52:13 -1000

On 4/15/2011 3:14 AM, harbor235 wrote:
If I were going to provide a 365x24x7 NOC, how many teams of personnel do I
need
to fully cover operations? I assume minimally you need 3 teams to cover the
required
24 hr coverage, but there is off time and schedule rotation?

thoughts, experience?

Mike

For what it's worth, was part of a datacenter operations department that had a 24x7 team. 4 shifts, 4 staff on each shift (1 was supervisor who did same work as the rest, 1 'point of contact' who stayed in the office). 4 days on, 4 days off, 12 hour shifts, 8-8. Shift teams would alternate between day and night (so 4 day, 4 off, 4 night, 4 off, repeat ad infinitum). During the day that was bolstered by 6 day-staff, Monday to Friday, who would have a staggered start through the day (IIRC 2 start at 8, 2 at 9, 2 at 11)