nanog mailing list archives

Re: next-best-transport! down with ethernet!

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:59:35 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Vitkovsky" <avitkovsky () emea att com>

Article by John Cramer says:

At the AQRTP Workshop we considered the question of whether quantum
nonlocality was a possible medium for FTL communication. In the
context of standard quantum mechanics there is good reason for
believing that it is not. Eberhard has proved a theorem demonstrating
that the outcomes of separated measurements of the same quantum
system, correlated by nonlocality though they are, cannot be used for
FTL observer-to-observer communication. A possible loophole in
Eberhard's theorem could arise if, following the work of Nobel
Laureate Steven Weinberg, one modifies conventional quantum mechanics
by introducing a small non-linear element into the standard QM
formalism. It has been shown that in slightly non-linear quantum
mechanics, the observable nonlinear effects that would arise would
make possible FTL communication through nonlocality.

Wasn't this covered in an RFC I read, dated 1 April 2030?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com