nanog mailing list archives

Re: [arin-announce] IN-ADDR.ARPA Zone Transfer Complete

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:05:16 -0500

On 2011-02-16, at 17:33, Doug Barton wrote:

This leads to 2 additional questions:

1. Is the zone available from those 2 locations "the same" as what's
available on the authoritative servers, or is there a lag time between
updates on the auth and the xfr servers?

The two servers mentioned transfer the zone from the same place as the *.in-addr-servers.arpa servers. They're a little
closer than some of the other servers. I imagine some propagation lag between them would be visible with the right
instrumentation. The speed of light is the speed of light.

2. Is there any objection to having those servers listed in publicly
available documentation on how to configure resolvers to slave the root
and related zones?

My personal opinion is that such advice is misguided, but we place no restrictions on the soundness of the reasons for
transferring zones from those places :-)

Joe