nanog mailing list archives

RE: Optimal IPv6 router

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:39:10 +0000

With IPv6 growing, if we were to design a native IPv6 router, with
IPv4 functionality thrown in, then is it possible to design a more
optimal IPv6 router, than what exists today?

OK, I'll bite.  What would qualify as a "native IPv6" router?  Is
this
another concept as silly as "hardware vs software based" routers?

Join them and create a router where IPv6 is ASIC-forwarded and IPv4
gets to use a CPU. Market perspectives for such a product are very
shy, but would fit the description.

And where half the useful features just don't support IPv6.

Make it support draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ipv6 and we're away :)

--
Leigh Porter