nanog mailing list archives

Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 22:07:36 GMT

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
We had this discussion on the list exactly a year ago.  At that time,
the average IPv6 origin ASN was announcing 1.43 routes.  That figure
today is 1.57 routes per origin ASN.

That represents a 10% growth in prefix/asn for IPv6.

Compare to 9.3->9.96/ASN (7%) in IPv4 over that same time, While
I would agree that this is a trend that merits watching, I think
we're probably OK for quite some time.

By the time it's a problem it'll not be fixable.

I've been a supporter of classful allocation of v6 such as Bill mentioned
(http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2009-November/015521.html)
there's enough space for it but people don't want to do classful again.

If there isn't standard filtering of defined prefix/lengths by major
carriers then we're just waiting for the problem to arrive. I don't
think we'd get enough people to agree on this to avoid it.

brandon