nanog mailing list archives

Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 15:39:21 -0800

On 3/10/12 2:47 PM, Sven Olaf Kamphuis wrote:
well... we actually intend to just announce /64's and smaller as well.

i don't see the problem with that.

just get routers with enough memory...

i'm rather for a "specification" of a minimum supported route-size
(let's say something along the lines of 64GB in each border router, it's
2012 after all ;) than for putting limits on the prefix sized announced
so "old junk" can still stay connected to the internet.

let's say, there is 6 billion people in the world.. if they all have 1
route table entry (average ;) i see no technical limitations on anything
produced AFTER 2008 actually.

stop buying crap without sufficient ram, or just scrap it and get new
stuff. (which you're going to have to do to efficiently route ipv6
-anyway- at some point, as your old stuff, simply doesn't even
loadbalance trunked ethernet ports properly (layer 3 based) ;)

I'm under the impression from your messages in this thread that you're
unaware or unfamiliar with TCAM.

~Seth