nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:54:55 -0400

Jamie Lawrence wrote:

<SNIP>

Some may see me as a "grumpy old man" for that. I see it as a technical
conservatism for my production environments borne of having been burned by
shiny-cool-new before one too many times, and a tired dislike of being
paged out of bed over some chrome plated new hotness that crapped itself
again.

<SNIP>
and

But when I start wondering if my init system has a flight simulator easter
egg, well, there’s a problem, at least for me.

So nicely put! :-)

It is funny to see people
use "but that approach is 40 years old!" on both sides of the argument.

I think I'll stick with 4 wheels on cars for the long term. (3-wheeled motorcycles, on the other hand, are somewhat intriguing as I get older)

Most of my systems are Linux these days, and I am mostly distro-agnostic,
although my default does happen to be Debian. I do think I’m going to have
to get back up to speed on FreeBSD again.

Boy would I be happy if I could get Xen Dom0, ZFS, and a DRBD-equivalent on BSD or SmartOS. Sigh...
Miles Fidelman