nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 14:16:24 +0000

Yes, the reason is that we'd never had ARIN turn down a request due to space exhaustion before. In 12 months we'll see
the prices will go up significantly. Don't underestimate the demand, which is easily measured via ARIN space allocation
reports. That demand rate has very little flexibility, and the businesses asking for /21 and above are willing to pay
for the space. It's not the "two guys and a router" startups asking for a mere /23 or /24. These are generally
pre-existing businesses or well-funded startups.

 -mel beckman