nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 19:14:05 -0800

On 3/1/15 7:24 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Scott,

Asymmetric measured where?  Between client and server or between
servers?  I'm thinking the case where we each have a server running
locally - how do you get a high level of asymmetry in a P2P environment?

The most densly connected relays by definition have more outgoing than
incoming given the nature of a protocol where messages are flooded by
senders.

this is widely reflected in freenix 1000 rankings.

http://top1000.anthologeek.net/

likewise if you are and edge you will undoubtedly receive more than you
originate.

Miles Fidelman

Scott Helms wrote:

Anything based on NNTP would be extremely asymmetric without
significant changes to the protocol or human behavior.

We ran significant Usenet servers with binaries for nearly 20 years
and without for another 5 and the servers' traffic was heavily
asymmetric.

On Mar 1, 2015 9:11 AM, "Miles Fidelman" <mfidelman () meetinghouse net