nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Josh Luthman <josh () imaginenetworksllc com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 00:03:47 -0400

Have you tried cdnetops () netflix com ?

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373
On Jun 1, 2016 11:56 PM, "Bill Woodcock" <woody () pch net> wrote:

On Jun 2, 2016, at 6:27 AM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew () matthew at> wrote:

Every device in my house is blocked from Netflix this evening due to
their new "VPN blocker". My house is on my own IP space, and the outside of
the NAT that the family devices are on is 198.202.199.254, announced by AS
11994. A simple ping from Netflix HQ in Los Gatos to my house should show
that I'm no farther away than Santa Cruz, CA as microwaves fly.

Unfortunately, when one calls Netflix support to talk about this, the
only response is to say "call your ISP and have them turn off the VPN
software they've added to your account". And they absolutely refuse to
escalate. Even if you tell them that you are essentially your own ISP.

So... where's the Netflix network engineer on the list who all of us can
send these issues to directly?

Matthew Kaufman

Matthew, haven’t you told your ISP to stop using the dreaded 198 space?
Everyone knows those are magic addresses that belong to NetGear!  :-)

                                -Bill