nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Experiment

From: Brian Kantor <Brian () ampr org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 07:57:37 -0800

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 03:49:46PM -0000, adamv0025 () netconsultings com wrote:
This actually makes me thing that it might be worthwhile including these
types of test to the regression testing suite.
So that every time we evaluate new code or vendor we don't only test for
functionality, performance and scalability, but also for robustness
i.e. sending a whole heap of trash down the sockets which are accessible
form the Internet (via the iACL holes), to limit the scope of the test.

Rather than relying on experiments to notify us the hard way that something
is not right.

adam

I agree.

It seems to me that testing with almost-valid data (well formed,
but with disallowed values) as well as fuzz-testing are essential
parts of software quality control.
        - Brian