nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIPE our of IPv4

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:47:44 +1100

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 05:26:44PM -0500, bzs () theworld com wrote:
If the commitment really was to spread IPv6 far and wide IPv6 blocks
would be handed out for free, one per qualified customer (e.g., if you
have an IPv4 allocation you get one IPv6 block free), or perhaps some
trivial administrative fee like $10 per year.

It has been some time since I had to deal with RIRs directly, but my
understanding was that if you had an IPv4 allocation, you got a reasonably
sized chunk of IPv6 alongside for free.  Not even an extra $10/year.  FREE!

Looking at ARIN's fee schedule
(https://www.arin.net/resources/fees/fee_schedule/), it does seem like that
is still the case:

For organizations holding both ARIN-issued IPv4 and IPv6 allocations, the
fee is based on the larger of the two service categories.

So you only need to pay extra for your IPv6 numbers if you've got a lot more
of them than you've got IPv4.  The only situation in which I could imagine
that happening is if you were a (very) late-start eyeball network that had a
tiny IPv4 allocation (and a *lot* of CGNAT), but were planning on handing
out IPv6 /48s to every customer.

- Matt