nanog mailing list archives

Re: Perhaps it's time to think about enhancements to the NANOG list...?

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:09:39 +0200

On 3/21/21 03:34, David Siegel wrote:

...not to mention that all mature networks are moving more towards GUI front ends for their automated network.  As the complexity of a network increases, CLI access becomes considerably more risky.

The idea that "real engineers use the CLI" is dinosaur thinking that will eventually land those with that philosophy out of a job.  Just my personal $.02 (though I'm certainly not alone in my opinion).

I wonder what those fancy GUI things are actually doing in the back-end.

I'm of the opposite view... front-end shiny GUI's are the risk. I'd babysit them before I let them leave the house. For a long time.

Mark.