nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tier1 BGP filter generation data sources & frequency

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 16:21:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 24 May 2021, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:04:32PM -0400, Luca Salvatore wrote:
Curious if anyone is aware of other Tier1s deprecating support for RADB?

Rather than deprecating RADB, I think the industry would be better off
if either RADB or the Tier1s (in their local caching layer) deploy IRR
database software capable of RPKI Origin Validation ala RIPE-731.

I suspect the attitude is "why bother when we can just require that everyone use the IRR run by their RIR, rely on the RIR to not allow bogosity in thier IRR, and keep using our existing software, just limiting the IRR sources from which it'll accept objects?"

BTW...speaking of MANRS, if there's someone on-list who can help out with some questions, I'd appreciate the contact. For $work, I'd been talking to Kevin Meynell about our joining. It fell through the cracks and recently popped back up. Recent email to Kevin got no reply. The MANRS web site could use quite a bit of clarification (or maybe just toss it and start over).

Also, I'm curious how common it is for networks to build IRR-based prefix-list filters for all their peers (i.e. IX peers, where you have lots of peers)?

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
 StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are