nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tier1 BGP filter generation data sources & frequency

From: "babydr DBA James W. Laferriere" <babydr () baby-dragons com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 14:21:23 -0800 (AKDT)

        Hello Jon ,

On Mon, 24 May 2021, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Mon, 24 May 2021, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:04:32PM -0400, Luca Salvatore wrote:
Curious if anyone is aware of other Tier1s deprecating support for RADB?

Rather than deprecating RADB, I think the industry would be better off
if either RADB or the Tier1s (in their local caching layer) deploy IRR
database software capable of RPKI Origin Validation ala RIPE-731.

I suspect the attitude is "why bother when we can just require that everyone use the IRR run by their RIR, rely on the RIR to not allow bogosity in thier IRR, and keep using our existing software, just limiting the IRR sources from which it'll accept objects?"

While I am not a big player (or even a bump in the road) in this group I do find it rather odd that people & corporate entities allow (& sponsor) another grab at , imo , taking over the proper way we as players in this arena should be working WITH each other . The "just leave it to big brother" is just plain a cop out to laziness<whatever verb you'd wish to use> (agn imo) .

        Sorry I'll say no more on the above as I'd just rant .

BTW...speaking of MANRS, if there's someone on-list who can help out with some questions, I'd appreciate the contact. For $work, I'd been talking to Kevin Meynell about our joining. It fell through the cracks and recently popped back up. Recent email to Kevin got no reply. The MANRS web site could use quite a bit of clarification (or maybe just toss it and start over).

To be honest the manrs site left me feeling rather blase' , The place that interested me is the Implementation Guide . Which seems to be a compendium of the [RFC|BCP]'s of the Proper way to maintain records at and with the entity that dispenses the resource(s) being used .

Also, I'm curious how common it is for networks to build IRR-based prefix-list filters for all their peers (i.e. IX peers, where you have lots of peers)?

Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are

        Twyl ,  Back to silent mode .  JimL
--
| James   W.   Laferriere    | System    Techniques | Give me VMS     |
| Network & System Engineer  | 3237     Holden Road |  Give me Linux  |