nanog mailing list archives

Re: Help with removing DNS shinkhole FP from Charter/Spectrum

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:39:21 -0700

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 4:00 PM John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:
It appears that William Herrin <bill () herrin us> said:
If you can't reach a technical POC, use the legal one. Your lawyer can

The only response to a letter like that is "we run our network to
serve our customers and manage it the way we think is best" and you
know what, they're right.

Hi John,

Respectfully, you're mistaken. Look up "tortious interference."

Operators have considerable legal leeway to block traffic for cause,
or even by mistake if corrected upon notification, but a lawyer who
blows off a cease-and-desist letter without investigating it with the
tech staff has committed malpractice. The lawyer doesn't want to
commit malpractice. You write the lawyer via certified mail, he's
going to talk to the tech staff and you're going to get a response. At
that point, you have an open communication pathway to get things
fixed. Which was the problem to be solved.

Having said that, I suspect the least bad alternative if you can't
find an out of band contact is to get some of the Spectrum customers
who can't reach you to complain. They're customers, you aren't.

My results going through the support front-door at large companies for
oddball problems have been less than stellar. Has your experience
truly been different?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--