nanog mailing list archives

Re: Help with removing DNS shinkhole FP from Charter/Spectrum

From: Validin Axon <axon () validin com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:54:35 -0400

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure where you saw that message, but I got this message via email
after I submitted an unblock request with Spectrum Shield:

We have reviewed your request to unblock validin.com. This site was not
found to be blocked by Spectrum Shield and should be accessible from your
browser.

Thank you,

Spectrum

My company's domain got caught up in some lazy copy/pasting from this blog
post last year that cited my company as a source for the data. Someone
copy/pasted the whole page, which included my company's domain name, and
that made it to a few AV OTX pulses and VT collections:
https://gi7w0rm.medium.com/uncovering-ddgroup-a-long-time-threat-actor-d3b3020625a4

I've cleaned up everything I could from that botched blocklist aggregation.
However, there's no correction process for Spectrum's DNS sinkhole, and I'm
not even sure that's how our domain got mixed up there. The support staff
I've spoken with have denied the existence of DNS sinkholing at Spectrum,
and demonstrated they lack the basic technical sophistication needed to
understand the concept. They've each ultimately told me that each affected
customer would need to reach out to the Spectrum customer service, which
would then help that customer change their DNS settings to another DNS
provider. Of course, the last thing I'd want to do with a potential
customer is ask them to go through that painful process. I also have no
idea how many potential users or customers can't reach me and simply give
up without letting me know.

Lastly, I AM a Spectrum customer. My home internet service is Spectrum. If
it weren't for that, I'd be truly SOL because support would just ignore me.
But, they they claim the issue is resolved from their perspective because I
can simply change my DNS settings.

But back to the topic: someone mentioned to me that Spectrum may not be the
direct providers for the DNS services they provide to their customers. If
anyone knows anything about how I might discover and reach out to the
people responsible, please let me know. :-)

Regards,

Kenneth

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 8:07 PM Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>