nanog mailing list archives

Re: Help with removing DNS shinkhole FP from Charter/Spectrum

From: "Livingood, Jason via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:59:14 +0000

However, there's no correction process for Spectrum's DNS sinkhole
But back to the topic: someone mentioned to me that Spectrum may not be the direct providers for the DNS services
they provide to their customers. If anyone knows anything about how I might discover and reach out to the people
responsible, please let me know.

I suspect what’s happened is an incorrect assumption that DNS is even the issue here. Because you mentioned Spectrum
Shield, I suspect it is not.

Spectrum Shield (https://www.spectrum.com/resources/internet-wifi/benefits-of-spectrum-security-shield) is a
customer-managed security protection service built into their gateways (I assume you can turn it off). The malware and
content detection engine behind that is very likely run by CujoAI (https://cujo.com/) and it does not use DNS
query/response exchanges as the control mechanism (in part to counter-act DNS-changing malware or malware using its own
DoH channel for example).

You should contact Charter/Spectrum to have them investigate what their system might be blocking this content.

Comcast (where I work) runs a similar system
(https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security) and maintains a site to report these
sorts of issues (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/report-blocked-website).

Jason